• 9 hours ago - hosted by expaticaevents
    Six days of film fun Over the years, the KLIK! Amsterdam Animation Festival has gone from strength to strength and after stints at various locations across town, its current home is the EYE Filmmuseum where it delights with six days of top-notch animated films, masterclasses, themed programmes, spec...
  • October 15 - hosted by expaticaevents
    International literary event on the 100-year anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele.

Brussels Rhythm and Blues Club

Event Details

• The Pretty Things, plus the BRBC Houseband Jive

The BRBC is delighted to welcome back the legendary Pretty Things with Phil May, Dick Taylor and Frank Holland, backed by Jack Greenwood on percussion and George Woosey on bass. Named after Bo Diddley’s song 'Pretty Thing', the band were pillars of London's early 60s rhythm and blues scene and labelled the "uglier cousins of the Rolling Stones". Dick Taylor played with Dartford Grammar contemporary Mick Jagger in Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys and was the first bass player in the Stones, before Bill Wyman, but left to study at London’s Central School of Art (where he met May). The Pretty Things had a string of mid-60s hits including 'Rosalyn', 'Don't Bring Me Down' (both covered by David Bowie on 'Pin Ups'), 'Midnight to Six', 'Honey I Need', 'Cry To Me' and 'Come See Me'. Lasting commercial success eluded them, partly because the music industry regarded them as too wild and uncontrolled compared to the Stones or the Beatles. They released the first ever rock opera 'SF Sorrow' in December 1968, which Pete Townsend admits was an inspiration for The Who's Tommy, and the psychedelic masterpiece Parachute in 1970. They released their excellent new album "The Sweet Pretty Things (Are in Bed Now, Of Course)” in 2015. Check out videos of their last BRBC concert:

Can"t Judge A Book - PrettyThings@BRBC 20 Feb 16

Come See Me - Pretty Things@BRBC 20 Feb 16

Rosalyn - PrettyThings@BRBC 20 Feb 16

Midnight To Six - PrettyThings@BRBC 20 Feb 16

BRBC Houseband Jive, with Eric Moens and Afrim Jahja on guitars and vocals, Vinh on bass and Bilou on drums will be performing their popular R'n'B repertoire, featuring classics by Fleetwood Mac, the Yardbirds, Jimmy Reed, Bo Diddley, Elmore James, John Mayall, Eric Clapton, Ry Cooder, Rory Gallagher, JJ Cale and others. Check out HD clips of Jive at the BRBC, playing Steely Dan’s Do It Again, the Rolling Stones’ Gimme Shelter, Humble Pie’s Natural Born Boogie, Drift Away (made famous by Dobie Gray), Elmore James' Can't Stop Lovin' You, Fleetwood Mac’s Sandy Mary, The Standell's Dirty Water Dr Feelgood’s Baby Jane and Otis Rush’s Can't Do My Homework Anymore.

Concert starts 9.00 pm promptly Participation aux frais - 20 euros

Excellent Italian food available, together with a wide range of beers and wines

BRBC returns on 11 February 2017 with Scotch, No Soda,plus Jive.

You can keep in touch with events via the BRBC website: http://www.brbc.be/, the BRBC Facebook group, the Facebook Fan Page and Twitter @BrusselsRnB

BRBC concert videos: http://www.brbc.be/concertvideos.html

• Date
    1/14/17
    Time
    9:00 PM - 1:00 PM
  • Where
    Belgium Brussels Sounds Jazz Club, 28 rue de la Tulipe, 1050 Ixelles Map
  • Host
    Brussels Rhythm and Blues Club
  • Led by
  • Category
  • RSVPs